Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Visit to GSK

20 Nov


  Just like the visits to other manufacturing plants, I am stunned at the types of products GSK produces. Actually, in our daily lives, we are always in contact with GSK products. Some examples are Horlicks and Ribena, quite surprising… As GSK belongs to a biomedical industry, I like their vision where GSK tries to improve lives and made us feel better.

  Firstly, they brought us on a plant tour to the labs and production buildings. The equipment they have in the labs been magnificent such as the chromatography equipments, isolators and dryers. The equipment serves its own purpose in the production of products. I was indeed shocked when the engineer told us that a bag of respiratory drugs could save a whole lot of patients, in fact the number rose to around 500000 patients. Therefore, the products made by GSK is very important in our daily lives as the drugs they produce could save many lives in the future and nobody knows, maybe a disease would have its cure in the future.

  The production building well, was extremely amazing, with all the large scale equipment, such as the kiloscale. We took a little small peek at the ingredients that they are mixing in the plant. There is only one word that I can use to describe, “Impressive”. I also learnt that we are not allowed to bring our electronic devices into the plant as it may just ignite the place and we will not survive. As a result, all the electronic devices in the plant have to be explosion proof so that the plant will not catch fire due to the electronic devices.

   Overall, I enjoyed myself during the visit to the manufacturing plants where I get to see their operations and processes in making the active ingredient. I am certainly inspired by this and hope that I will get more opportunities to come into contact with the manufacturing plants again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment